This is an exciting opportunity to take up a Principal level role in MBRC’s Floodplain Management Team within our broader Drainage Waterways and Coastal Planning department. The primary focus of the department is to plan, manage and design the region's coastal, stormwater and floodplain management infrastructure, including built and natural form assets, consistent with Council's corporate strategic vision, policies and strategies.
About the Opportunity
As our Principal Engineer Floodplain Management you will, provide specialist technical engineering advice to key stakeholders in relation to the floodplain management including the supervision and review of expert computer modelling and the development and maintenance of Council’s flood data products, systems and tools. You will investigate complex floodplain management problems and prepare and present technical reports and recommendations to ensure project outcomes are met.
In addition you will:
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of floodplain infrastructure projects, including project management of preliminary designs being completed by external experts, as well as completing the internal concept designs.
- Review Council infrastructure projects and designs to provide advice on potential flood impacts.
- Respond to queries from members of the public regarding flooding.
- Assist in the development of Council's Flood Warning System to provide timely analysis and advice in extreme rainfall and flooding events.
- Have the opportunity to support the Flood Information Center and disaster management operations during flood emergency events.
- Contribute to the maintenance of Council's Regional Flood Database (RFD), Flood Check Property Report system (FCPR), and other flood related databases.
- Build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure floodplain infrastructure and service delivery outcomes are achieved.
We are seeking someone who has knowledge in floodplain management and experience in floodplain management infrastructure planning and design. You will have experience in supervising and completing complex technical investigations relating to floodplain management matters and have the ability to apply critical thinking, reasoning, evaluation and decision-making skills.
You will have excellent communication skills and the ability to build strong professional relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Your written capability will be well refined with practiced skills to develop and deliver technical reports and proposals in a clear and concise manner.
Our Floodplain Management team is a technically diverse group, who are highly collaborative and passionate about achieving high quality results for our community. We are focused on delivering on our corporate values of Service, Teamwork, Integrity, Respect and Sustainability - we are seeking people who resonate with these values.
Click here for Position Description
Why join the MBRC Team?
As the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, the Moreton Bay Region boasts beautiful beaches and waterways, amazing manufacturing hubs and picturesque hinterland hamlets. Moreton Bay has a strong and connected community that enjoys all the traditional Jinibara, Kabi Kabi and Turrbal country has to offer within our region.
With a diverse workforce of more than 2000 team members dedicated to servicing the needs and enhancing the lifestyle of more than 469,000 residents, each team member has an intrinsic ability to impact our community. Whether you’re a manager or working on the frontline, your role will make a difference - bring your expertise and join our driven team today.
Aside from an opportunity to build a rewarding career within a diverse and growing organisation, we offer a range of team member benefits including:
- Discounted Health Insurance.
- Free flu vaccinations every year.
- Fitness Passport program offering discounted membership for you and your family to selected facilities.
- We are proud to offer opportunities to develop your career within a local government organisation and our team members are encouraged to undertake study for career development in their area of employment under our Study, Training & Research Scheme (STARS).
- Generous employer and employee super contribution scheme.
- Salary packaging options on novated leases, superannuation payments, smartphones and devices.
- We want you and your family to feel well supported when you need it most - as a team member you will have access our 24/7 confidential counselling service, leader support hotline, chaplaincy program and our Mates in Construction program.
- Our Strathpine office has local parking on-site and is in close proximity to public transport networks.
- Flexibility at MBRC depends on the type of work you do but could include options such as work from home, part time, 9-day fortnights and flexible days. Talk to us about what flexibility means to you!
How to Apply
Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role. Applicants will need to attach the following documents:
- A current resumé or curriculum vitæ
- A covering letter or expression of interest (maximum 2 pages) which details your suitability for the role.
Please note, this is a Parental Leave relief role and this appointment will be for a 12 month fixed term period. However, Moreton Bay Council is the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, and we anticipate a need to expand our staff to meet the demands of this growth, creating future opportunities for the right candidate.
Please note: applicants will be required to undergo a National Police History Check as part of the recruitment process for this role.
To obtain further details please contact our Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Moreton Bay Regional Council and to stay across what's happening in our region, follow us on LinkedIn.