As the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, the Moreton Bay Region boasts beautiful beaches and waterways, amazing manufacturing hubs and picturesque hinterland hamlets. Moreton Bay has a strong and connected community that enjoys all the traditional Jinibara, Kabi Kabi and Turrbal country has to offer within our region.
With a diverse workforce of more than 1800 team members dedicated to servicing the needs and enhancing the lifestyle of more than 469,000 residents, each team member has an intrinsic ability to impact our community. Whether you’re a manager or working on the frontline, your role will make a difference - bring your expertise and join our driven team today.
Strategic Planning and Place Making Department
The Strategic Planning and Place Making Department takes a long term approach to reshaping or region’s planning. As our region continues to grow, we remain committed to find the best options to shape the future urban form, accessibility and liveability of our region whilst managing natural hazards and protecting and conserving our natural resources, environment and heritage.
We are currently bringing together a new team of experts in Urban Growth Modelling to help us find - and use - the best tools to guide the future of our region.
We have a variety of NEW opportunities on offer. We look forward to chat further about your contribution to this exciting team.
About the Opportunity:
As our Senior GIS Research Officer with the new Urban Growth Model team you will develop and implement innovative, best practice methodologies and processes to obtain, maintain, engineer and analyse data, maintaining high standards of data integrity, data governance (including archiving and version control of data), metadata creation and data visualisation for a varied audience of customers and stakeholders of the new Urban Growth model.
You will collaborate and contribute to a positive team environment in order to achieve a high performance, continuous improvement and customer focused culture.
In addition, you will:
- act as a technical expert and provide specialist GIS advice and guidance to team members to support the development and implementation of the new Urban Growth Model
- lead the delivery of spatial and non-spatial data analytics solutions utilizing a range of products and tools for data analysis, modelling, database design, data visualization and 2D/3D modelling s for the new Urban Growth Model
- provide senior technical input into the development and implementation of key policies and procedures relating to the new Urban Growth model.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about data, mapping and all things GIS with considerable knowledge and experience in relevant technical tools for spatial, data and demographic analysis, specifically in relation to urban research and growth monitoring. You will have the ability to undertake independent research and work with your team to map out the story that the data tells - we want a strategic thinker.
You will have:
highly developed investigative, analytical and research skills including proficiency in the use of a range of software applications used to record, manipulate and present planning and project programming data
proficiency in the use of data modelling tools, programming languages such as Python and R and other data analysis
products such as 3D modelling and ArcGIS Online/Enterprise with the ability to plan and deliver training to end users
excellent communication skills with an ability to communicate complex planning and data analysis concepts and matters in a
simple and concise manner (both verbally and in written form) and negotiate practical, pragmatic and sustainable outcomes
- the ability to service client data requests with a high level of technical rigour in uncertain or emergent circumstances and in a rapidly changing environment
- excellent people and relationship skills with the demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, contributing to a positive
work environment with a strong focus on provision of quality customer service and to mentor and facilitate professional
development and competencies of other team members.
You will hold a Degree in spatial science, geographical information and data analysis or equivalent and will be a collaborative contributor!
Why join the MBRC Team?
Aside from an opportunity to build a rewarding career within a diverse and growing organisation, we offer a range of team member benefits including:
- Flexibility at MBRC depends on the type of work you do but could include options such as work from home, part time, 9-day fortnights and flexible days. Talk to us about what flexibility means to you!
- Discounted Health Insurance.
- We are proud to offer opportunities to develop your career within a local government organisation and our team members are encouraged to undertake study for career development in their area of employment under our Study, Training & Research Scheme (STARS).
- Generous employer and employee super contribution scheme.
- Free onsite parking.
- Fitness Passport program offering discounted membership for you and your family to selected facilities.
How to Apply
Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role. Applicants will need to attach the following documents:
- A current resumé or curriculum vitæ
- A covering letter or expression of interest (maximum 2 pages) which details your suitability for the role.
Please Click here for Role Description - Senior GIS Research Officer - New Urban Growth Model
To obtain further details please contact our Onboarding Team firstname.lastname@example.org