- Full Time Contract - 4 years
- Total package range: $180,577 to $200,640pa
- 38 hour week
- 5 weeks annual leave
- Hybrid, flexible working environment, including some work from home days.
- Location: Strathpine, 29km from Brisbane CBD (adjacent to train station, and with free parking onsite)
About our opportunity
We are seeking an experienced legal professional to join our dynamic internal legal team!
Our in house legal team consists of legal professionals with many years of experience both inside local government and in private practice and industry.
As one of our Senior Legal Counsel, you will provide expert legal advice to Council on a broad range of complex and sensitive legal matters in accordance with legislative and statutory requirements while supporting the achievement of Council’s objectives and protecting its interests.
You will provide legal advice and review of documents across a wide range of disciplines, draft and file legal documents, and conduct and represent Council in court, tribunals, mediation and/or counsel on litigation matters.
As a Senior member of our team, we will look to you guide, coach and mentor team members to develop team capability and drive a high performance, customer focused and continuous improvement culture.
Are you a qualified and experienced legal professional looking for a diverse next challenge!
This role will have you working with such a diverse scope, liaising with stakeholders organisation wide focused on planning, property, construction, local laws and everything in between.
In addition to being admitted as a solicitor or barrister in Queensland with an unrestricted practising certificate, you will bring significant post admission in overseeing and managing complex legal matters across a wide range of disciplines ideally within an in-house environment. You'll also possess:
- Experience providing legal advice and reviewing documents across a wide range of disciplines.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of legislative and statutory requirements.
- Ability to compose legal documents including bespoke drafting skills.
- Quality communication skills to influence and convince on matters of specific law.
- Experience preparing and presenting submissions before courts and tribunals, including instructing and coordinating Counsel and external expert witnesses.
- Well-developed legal drafting and researching skills, with high attention to detail and accuracy.
Whilst not essential, experience in property law, acquisitions and tenure transactions (including cultural heritage and native title) will be highly regarded.
Bring your positive, team focused drive and work with some passionate leaders throughout the organisation really making a difference to the Moreton Bay community!
Click here for Position Description
Why join the City of Moreton Bay Team?
As the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, the Moreton Bay region boasts beautiful beaches and waterways, amazing manufacturing hubs and picturesque hinterland hamlets. Moreton Bay has a strong and connected community that enjoys all the traditional Jinibara, Kabi Kabi and Turrbal country has to offer within our region.
With a diverse workforce of more than 2000 team members dedicated to servicing the needs and enhancing the lifestyle of more than 479,000 residents, each team member has an intrinsic ability to impact our community. Whether you’re a manager or working on the frontline, your role will make a difference - bring your expertise and join our driven team today.
Aside from an opportunity to build a rewarding career within a diverse and growing organisation, we offer a range of team member benefits including:
- Discounted Health Insurance.
- Free flu vaccinations every year.
- Fitness Passport program offering discounted membership for you and your family to selected facilities.
- We are proud to offer opportunities to develop your career within a local government organisation and our team members are encouraged to undertake study for career development in their area of employment under our Study, Training And Research Scheme (STARS).
- Generous employer and employee super contribution scheme.
- Salary packaging options on novated leases, superannuation payments, smartphones and devices.
- We want you and your family to feel well supported when you need it most - as a team member you will have access our 24/7 confidential counselling service, leader support hotline, chaplaincy program and our Mates in Construction program.
- Our Strathpine office has local parking on-site and is in close proximity to public transport networks.
- Flexibility depends on the type of work you do but could include options such as work from home, part time, 9-day fortnights and flexible days. Talk to us about what flexibility means to you!
How to Apply
Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role.
Please note: applicants will be required to undergo a National Police History Check as part of the recruitment process for this role.
To obtain further details please contact our Careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the City of Moreton Bay and to stay across what's happening in our region, follow us on LinkedIn.