As the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, the Moreton Bay Region boasts beautiful beaches and waterways, amazing manufacturing hubs and picturesque hinterland hamlets. Moreton Bay has a strong and connected community that enjoys all the traditional Jinibara, Kabi Kabi and Turrbal country has to offer within our region.
With a diverse workforce of more than 1800 team members dedicated to servicing the needs and enhancing the lifestyle of more than 469,000 residents, each team member has an intrinsic ability to impact our community. Whether you’re a manager or working on the frontline, your role will make a difference - bring your expertise and join our driven team today.
The Waste Services Department aims to provide affordable, sustainable and safe waste management for residents and business in the Moreton Bay region. Waste Services delivers a wide range of waste management activities, including kerbside and on-demand bulky waste and recycling collections, operation of three major waste management facilities with landfills, two Treasure Markets and eight waste transfer stations. The Department employs approximately 65 staff, more than 55 contractors and manages an annual operational budget of approximately $49 M.
About our opportunity
As our Manager Waste Services, you will have accountability for leading Councils waste management facilities and waste services program to meet operational requirements for more than 450,000 customers, whilst ensuring compliance with regulatory and environmental standards.
You’ll develop and drive the planning and strategy of the waste function, driven by our commitment to consistently deliver environmental efficiencies and improvements in waste management , recycling and key initiatives linked to both the Federal and State’s Long Term Waste Strategies.
Fostering professional and effective relationships, you’ll provide expert advice to Council and key stakeholders on the above key deliverables of Waste Services. You’ll develop, identify and recommend initiatives to improve productivity, minimising the volume of waste generated by the community, driving efficiency and cost savings.
With a focus on ensuring quality service delivery outcomes are achieved, you will lead and manage your large operational team across multiple sites and facilities, driving unity and high-performance culminating in improved services to the community.
Additionally you will:
- Manage the monitoring, tracking and reporting on progress towards waste and recycling targets
- Develop financial models to assist in the preparation and setting of annual fees and charges, oversight of the Treasure Markets including implementation of financial management systems and closely manage requirements of the abatement payment waste levy
- In conjunction with the Director, develop and implement a professional and thorough approach to identifying, managing and reporting on risks within the Department, including workplace health and safety, environment, legislation and regulation.
- Use all reasonable and practical measures to prevent or minimise environmental harm and comply with Council’s environmental policies, protocols and procedures. Report all environmental risks, hazards and incidents immediately to your leader.
This role is designed for a leader of people, with expert knowledge and experience in delivering municipal domestic and business waste management services within a complex urban environment. Your extensive experience in this industry means you will have developed a well-balanced and considered approach, with an ability to confidently provide strategic and operational advice while meeting the financial, environmental, safety, regulatory and compliance obligations.
We’ll value your progressive approach towards the waste environment (and recycling) industry, particularly as it relates to and impacts upon the activities and responsibilities of local government - your expertise in this space is a must.
Leading and setting the strategic direction for your large and geographically diverse team will require you to leverage off your highly developed management skills and ability to lead. Additionally you will have:
- Experience in the development and implementation of strategy and policy and in leading organisational change whilst balancing competing priorities.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal, the ability to act in an influencing/persuasive manner and the capacity to work well across all stakeholder groups
- Analytical and outcome focused, with the ability to manage competing demands in a complex environment
- Credible, flexible, intuitive and highly ethical
Term: 4 year Contract
Package: $234,003.00 total package including superannuation and benefits
Why join the MBRC Team?
Aside from an opportunity to build a rewarding career within a diverse and growing organisation, we offer a range of team member benefits including:
- Discounted Health Insurance.
- We are proud to offer opportunities to develop your career within a local government organisation and our team members are encouraged to undertake study for career development in their area of employment under our Study, Training & Research Scheme (STARS).
- Generous employer and employee super contribution scheme.
- Free onsite parking.
Please click here for a copy of the Position Description
How to Apply
Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role.
To obtain further details please contact our Careers team at email@example.com