As the third largest local government area in Australia and the fifth fastest growing region, the Moreton Bay Region boasts beautiful beaches and waterways, amazing manufacturing hubs and picturesque hinterland hamlets. Moreton Bay has a strong and connected community that enjoys all the traditional Jinibara, Kabi Kabi and Turrbal country has to offer within our region.
With a diverse workforce of more than 1800 team members dedicated to servicing the needs and enhancing the lifestyle of more than 469,000 residents, each team member has an intrinsic ability to impact our community. Whether you’re a manager or working on the frontline, your role will make a difference - bring your expertise and join our driven team today.
Development Services is shaping a better Moreton Bay by assessing and managing the effects of development on the community and environment of Moreton Bay, working in partnership with the development industry to design and construct infrastructure for the community as well as levying and recovering infrastructure charges to fund new and upgraded major community infrastructure.
About the Opportunity:
As our Principal Environmental Planner, you will act as a technical expert providing advice to Council or its delegate on highly complex development matters relating to biodiversity, environmental management and bush-fire hazards. You will lead the assessment of highly complex development applications in line with legislative, policy and business requirements
In addition, you’ll:
- provide technical oversight and direction to the team members in relation to environmental planning matters to drive integrated and sustainable planning outcomes
- decide development applications in line with legislative, policy and business requirements as Council’s delegate,
- lead the review of environmental offsets including the negotiation of environmental offset agreements and the transfer of land for environment purposes
- support the development of team capability to drive a high performance, continuous improvement and customer focussed culture.
- build high level relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure quality services outcomes are achieved.
- represent Council at a range of forums providing expert knowledge and advice to key stakeholders.
We are seeking someone who is an expert in their field. You will be eager to share your knowledge, collaborate and mentor other team members. You will have a degree in Environmental Planning or equivalent and a Construction Induction Card competency that has been used or obtained within the past 2 years.
You will have:
- substantial knowledge and experience in the delivery of planning assessment and compliance services
- expert knowledge in the principles and practices relating to planning, design, protection and rehabilitation of environmental areas
- high level knowledge of the State Planning Policy, the SEQ Regional Plan, the Planning scheme, and the Adopted Infrastructure Charge Resolution
- a high level of experience applying relevant planning and development legislation and policy
- experience providing technical oversight and direction to team members
- excellent communication skills to meet the needs of a range of internal and external stakeholders
- the ability to influence and negotiate complex infrastructure and other commercial agreements
Why join the MBRC Team?
Aside from an opportunity to build a rewarding career within a diverse and growing organisation, we offer a range of team member benefits including:
- Discounted Health Insurance.
- We are proud to offer opportunities to develop your career within a local government organisation and our team members are encouraged to undertake study for career development in their area of employment under our Study, Training & Research Scheme (STARS).
- Generous employer and employee super contribution scheme.
- Free onsite parking.
- Fitness Passport program offering discounted membership for you and your family to selected facilities.
Please note that whilst the current work location for this position is specified above, staff may be required to transfer to any of council's work locations with notice. Council currently has administration offices located at Caboolture, Strathpine and Redcliffe as well as depots, libraries and a range of other facilities located throughout the region.
How to Apply
Click on the 'Apply' button below to complete your online application. Please upload your current resume that demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this role. Applicants will need to attach the following documents:
- A current resumé or curriculum vitæ
- A covering letter or expression of interest (maximum 2 pages) which details your suitability for the role.
Please Click here for Role Description
To obtain further details please contact our Onboarding Team email@example.com